
The man dubbed "Britain’s most hated boss" for his controversial policy of sacking hundreds of seafarers and replacing them with cheaper agency staff is to quit.
Sky News can exclusively reveal that Peter Hebblethwaite, the chief executive of P&O Ferries, is leaving the company.
Sources said he had decided to resign for personal reasons.
Money latest: The exact time to book train ticket at bargain price
Mr Hebblethwaite joined the ranks of Britain's most notorious corporate figures in 2022 when P&O Ferries - a subsidiary of the giant Dubai-based ports operator DP World - said it was sacking 800 staff with immediate effect - some of whom learned their fate via a video message.
The policy, which Mr Hebblethwaite defended to MPs during subsequent select committee hearings, erupted into a national scandal, prompting changes in the law to give workers greater protection.
Under the new legislation, the government plans to tighten collective redundancy requirements for operators of foreign vessels.
In a statement issued in response to a request from Sky News, a P&O Ferries spokesperson said: "Peter Hebblethwaite has communicated his intention to resign from his position as chief executive officer to dedicate more time to family matters.
"P&O Ferries extends its gratitude to Peter Hebblethwaite for his contributions as CEO over the past four years.
"During his tenure the company navigated the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, initiated a path towards financial stability, and introduced the world's first large double-ended hybrid ferries on the Dover-Calais route, thereby enhancing sustainability.
"We extend our best wishes to him for his future endeavours."
A source close to the company said it anticipated making an announcement on Mr Hebblethwaite's successor in the near term.
A former executive at J Sainsbury, Greene King and Alliance Unichem, Mr Hebblethwaite joined P&O Ferries in 2019, before taking over as chief executive in November 2021.
Insiders claimed on Friday that he had "transformed" the business following the bitter blows dealt to its finances by the COVID-19 pandemic and - to some degree - by the impact of Britain's exit from the European Union.
P&O Ferries carries 4.5 million passengers annually on routes between the UK and continental European ports including Calais and Rotterdam.
It also operates a route between Northern Ireland and Scotland, and is a major freight carrier.
The company's losses soared during the pandemic, with DP World - its sole shareholder - supporting it through hundreds of millions of pounds in loans.
Its most recent accounts, which were significantly delayed, showed a significant reduction in losses in 2023 to just over £90m.
The reduction from the previous year's figure of almost £250m was partly attributed to cost reduction exercises.
The accounts also showed that Mr Hebblethwaite received a pay package of £683,000, including a bonus of £183,000.
"I reflected on accepting that payment, but ultimately I did decide to accept it," he told MPs.
"I do recognise it is not a decision that everybody would have made."
The row over his pay was especially acute because of his admission that P&O Ferries' lowest-paid seafarers received hourly pay of just £4.87.
Mr Hebblethwaite had argued since the mass sackings of 2022 that the company would have gone bust without the drastic cost-cutting that it entailed.
The company insisted at the time that those affected by the redundancies had been offered "enhanced" packages to leave.
Last October, the then transport secretary, Louise Haigh, said: "The mass sacking by P&O Ferries was a national scandal which can never be allowed to happen again," adding that measures to protect seafarers from "rogue employers" would prevent a repetition.
"This issue has been ignored for over 2 years, but this new government is moving fast and bringing forward measures within 100 days," Ms Haigh added.
"We are closing the legal loophole that P&O Ferries exploited when they sacked almost 800 dedicated seafarers and replaced them with low-paid agency workers and we are requiring operators to pay the equivalent of National Minimum Wage in UK waters.
"Make no mistake - this is good for workers and good for business."
The minister's description of P&O Ferries as "rogue", and suggestion that consumers should boycott the company, sparked a row which threatened to overshadow the government's International Investment Summit last October.
Sky News's business and economics correspondent, Paul Kelso, revealed that DP World had withdrawn from participating in the event, and paused a £1bn investment announcement.
The company relented after Sir Keir Starmer publicly distanced the government from Ms Haigh's characterisation of DP World.